Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Ease of Starting Something...

I was struck again last night at how easy it's become to Start Something.  I use caps because it's one of the themes I've been wrapping my brain around lately.  How do you Start Something that others will find value in, and how do you get those people who would find value in it to know that it's there?

My main source of experience in this at the moment is obviously Milo, and I'm having some luck there in getting eyes on the site, and getting folks to know what's going on in Milo's world.  But this weekend I was asked for some help in getting an online presence for someone, and not in creative circles, but just in terms of a landing place on the web so that they might try some online advertising.  You need a place for the clicks to go, if you're going to be paying for clicks, and you have to have at least some bare bones information out there if you want the possibility of anyone finding you and what you can do for them.

So, for 14 bucks, I put up a free-hosted Godaddy.com site for Dan's Construction Services.  It's not slick, and it's not flash-animated, but it's definitely not ugly.  So, for 14 bucks for a year, I got up a real honest to goodness web presence that has the capability of growing into something that IS at least a little slick, even if it does have a Godaddy advert at the top, and for a little more, we might make it even slicker.

We can do some youtube videos for them, or a photogallery of the kinds of jobs they do.  There's so much possibility.  And that's really what I'm talking about here.  I spent a little more money on Milo, but ultimately it isn't that much.  I've recouped the cost in selling Milo Pocket Art, and it's now in the black. 

I'm obviously not saying that all you need to do is throw up a website and all of a sudden you'll have 14,000 followers and people building cults around you.  But, it's so easy to build something, and if you're excited about truly building it, the excitement shows.  People will find it.  And maybe it'll take advertising to get them to find it, but THAT's not that expensive anymore either.  I'm going to look into it soon.  Because I think I'm ready for that.

What are you ready for?

No comments: